HA Acoustics are specialist acoustic consultants covering the UK

Email: info@ha-acoustics.co.uk  Tel: 01245 206 250    

Sound Insulation Testing in Norfolk

Contact Us
Sound insulation testing services Essex and South East

Sound Insulation Testing in Norfolk

Are you looking for sound insulation testing in Norfolk? Perhaps you want more information about sound insulation or advice. If so, you might want to contact us, HA Acoustics.

We are expert acoustic consultants in the Norfolk region offering sound insulation noise assessments, testing and services.

So, let us look further into what we offer and answer any questions that you might have.

What is a sound insulation test?

First, let us answer the question, what is a sound insulation test? You might have heard or even been told that your site or property needs a test but you are unsure of what it actually is and what it involves.

Here at HA Acoustics, we offer pre-completion testing along with sound insulation testing to ensure that your construction project meets the national sound insulation standards. These are BS EN ISO 140 and Building Regulations Approved Document E.

Impact testing and airborne tests

There are two different types of sound and noise tests. These are impact testing and airborne tests.

When we undertake a sound insulation test, we test the internal acoustic performance of walls and floors. This allows us to determine the level of noise that transmits through separating floors and walls between properties. This type of test is called an Impact Test.

In short, a noise is made using a machine in one area of the property, which is the impact; this is then measured on the other side of the wall or floor to find its level. This type of test demonstrates noises from such as high heels walking on a floor, a chair dragged across the floor or a washing machine working.

We usually undertake this type of test in rooms or areas that are habitable, such as in living rooms, kitchens and bedrooms. We generally undertake the test on new and refurbished builds on homes and apartments.

Airborne testing is conducted on sounds that travel through the air. For instance, this may be the sound from a heated conversation in a room.

Following the test, we prepare a report for your local council or private building control officer in an easy to read format.

The number of tests you will have to have for the property is going to be dependent on the layout and size of the property.

As a general rule of thumb for a development of 10 flats or apartments, two impact floor tests would be required along with two airborne wall and two floor tests.

How to go about getting a test

You do not have to worry about what tests are required or how many are needed as we take you through all aspects when you call us.

Our specialist team of consultants offer advice tailored to your specific needs. On calling us for a test we:

  • Make a site inspection – this gives us a good idea of your sound insulation requirements or performance as it stands;
  • Perform an in-depth investigation;
  • Review construction details and survey findings;
  • Provide you with the necessary recommendations tailored to your specific needs;
  • Undertake the sound insulation testing and provide a detailed report.

Why a sound insulation test is required

All new properties or conversions constructed in England and Wales, where two properties are adjoining, have to undergo sound insulation testing by law.

This means buildings have to comply with Part E of the Building Regulations for England and Wales. This is to ensure the floors and walls meet the acceptable levels for noise reduction within the residential development.

It includes residential and commercial new builds and remodelling of older properties.

This applies to such as flats, apartments, houses, hotels, nursing homes, hostels, conversions of single dwellings to flats and more.

The tests have to be carried out before completion by a professional, such as us, HA Acoustics. It is essential to make sure that all the guidelines are met before letting the property, selling it or opening as a business.

The sound insulation testing has to be undertaken during the final stages of development of the property; however, you should consult the tester during the planning stage. By doing so you have peace of mind that you are complying with the regulations and you are being compliant from the very start of the project through to completion.

Why you might want to choose us

HA Acoustics are experts in sound insulation testing in Norfolk and the rest of the United Kingdom.

We are a team of expert acoustic consultants and noise engineers who are part of the Member of the Federation of Small Businesses and UKAS accredited laboratory for Sound Insulating Testing.

It is important to choose a UKAS accredited company to undertake the test as you have peace of mind that the company is fully qualified and offers accurate sound testing. Along with this, any certificates provided are official and recognised by building control officers.

Our team have more than 10 years of experience in the field of sound insulation testing.

We provide guidance, advice and testing in all aspects of environmental noise monitoring, along with the production of reports to both businesses and private individuals. We do this in a way that is easy to understand for the novice and our technicians hold membership or the Institute of Acoustics or/and the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.

HA Acoustics continue to expand throughout the UK allowing us to support a wide variety of projects in many different sectors. This includes residential, commercial, industrial, construction, demolition, oil, gas, healthcare and more.

To book your sound insulation test in Norfolk or anywhere else in the UK, or for more information and advice, contact us.


Share this post?

HA Acoustics

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *