HA Acoustics are specialist acoustic consultants covering the UK

Email: info@ha-acoustics.co.uk  Tel: 01245 206 250    

Sound Insulation Testing in Bedfordshire

Contact Us
Sound insulation testing

Sound Insulation Testing in Bedfordshire

If you are a developer and are having a property built where there is multiple living or working areas, as part of the building regulations you will need accurate sound insulation testing. Here at HA Acoustics we provide sound insulation testing in Bedfordshire and the rest of the UK to ensure your development meets the requirements set out.

We provide bespoke testing for anyone requiring testing to meet the Building Regulations Approved Document E and BS EN ISO 140.

This, among others, includes:

  • The commercial sector;
  • Business sector;
  • Private developers;
  • Construction sites;
  • Demolition;
  • Healthcare sector;
  • Gas;
  • Oil;
  • Industrial sector;
  • Many more.

In this article, we aim to provide a basic guide to sound insulation testing.

What is sound testing?

Sound insulation testing is just what the name says. We test for insulation of sound in buildings where there are adjoining properties to determine the level of noise in different rooms.

For instance, you will need testing and a certificate if you are a developer and you are building a new block of flats, you are having a nursing home built, a hotel, or you are converting a single property into multiple dwellings or offices.

In easy to understand terms, our sound engineers conduct tests to find the level of noise heard through the walls or floor in the adjoining room or a room below. There are two types of sound test, impact testing and airborne noise. The tests are performed in rooms in such as a flat, a hotel room and so on. Airborne testing is a test to find the level of noise carried through the air.

What is Building Regulations Approved Document E sound testing?

By law, the building needs to have a BS EN ISO 140 and Building Regulations Approved Document Part E sound test and pass it. The test involves testing for acceptable levels of noise in adjoining rooms and lower floors and may require both impact floor tests and airborne wall tests.

This is to ensure that the noise in adjoining rooms or floors in the building meets the requirements and is not too loud.

The number of floors and walls that will need to be tested will depend on the size of the development. We can discuss your actual needs when you call us and we undertake an inspection of your build.

To meet the Building Regulations Part E test and pass, in a new build the result of the Airborne Sound Insulation test should be 45 minimum. When testing in a conversion, it should be 43.

The impact sound insulation in a new build should be a minimum of 45 and a maximum of 62 and in conversion, it should be a minimum of 43 and a maximum of 64.

The importance of choosing a company that is UKAS accredited

When looking for sound insulation testing in Bedfordshire you need a company who is UKAS accredited. We are UKAS accredited and it is important to choose a company that is. It stands for the UK accredited laboratory for Sound Insulating Testing.

All of our consultants and engineers have accreditation and belong to the Member of the Federation of Small Businesses.

Only members are backed and recognised by the government in the UK. Only a company with accreditation is fully qualified to perform accurate sound testing. This means the certification and report we provide you with after testing is official and any Building Control Officer and authorities in the UK will recognise it.

You can benefit from the many years of experience we have at HA Acoustics. We offer competitive quotes tailored to your individual needs along with a professional level of service and a quick turnaround.

Our expert consultants and noise engineers are happy to answer any questions you might have, just give us a call to discuss your needs.

What stage of development should the test take place?

At what stage of the development testing takes place can be confusing. Of course, you will realise that the walls and floors have to be in place, but what are the additional requirements for testing.

We suggest sound insulation testing should take place during the pre-completion part of development.

What we mean by this is that the build or development has to be almost complete but not quite. For instance:

  • The windows and external doors should be installed and closed;
  • Any ventilation systems need to be installed;
  • The internal doors have to be hung;
  • Ceilings, floors and walls need to be completed;
  • Light switches and electrical sockets need to be fitted with access to 240v main power required for testing;
  • Skirting boards need to be in place;
  • Cosmetic flooring should not be fitted;
  • Rooms need to be empty.

It goes without saying, but we will say it anyway, the site needs to be very quiet during testing. Therefore, there should be no workers working and no machinery in use on-site while testing is taking place. This ensures the test results are accurate and not affected by other sources.

When our engineers have completed the testing, providing it passes, your project will meet the national sound insulation standards. We provide you with a report which the private building control officer or local authority will ask for, which has all the information they need to determine your build meets the standards.

If you require sound insulation testing in Bedfordshire or the rest of the UK, give us a call to find out how we can help you or to get advice and information about the sound test requirements for your project.




Share this post?

HA Acoustics

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *