Entertainment and Licensed Premises

Contact Us


Local Authorities (Councils) take into account a variety of factors when regulating entertainment noise.

These include; cultural differences, habits, patron behaviour, the local sound climate and existing regulations to ensure that patrons, businesses and local neighbours can enjoy their space and don’t suffer loss of amenity.

Noise annoyance and nuisance caused by noise break-out from entertainment venues and licensed premises, includes busy restaurants, bars or pubs.  Loud noise nuisance can have a significant adverse effect on human health.  Noise conditions are often imposed upon Entertainment and Licensed Premises by local authorities as part of the planning and licensing process.

Since there is no specific directive on noise-break out levels, requirements may vary from council to council.  Entertainment noise is a highly sensitive issue for many people, and one of the most common cause of complaints to Local Authority Environmental Health noise protection teams.

Consequently, it is vital that the effects of music noise on nearby residences and other noise-sensitive premises are considered, whether it is when setting up permanent venues such as bars, nightclubs or function rooms or when planning your temporary event, such as outdoor concerts or festivals.

With several former sound engineers and musicians on our consultant team, we have an in-depth understanding of the technical and creative aspects of live music performance and we work to provide practical noise control solutions which allow events to proceed while meeting Local Authority noise criteria and minimising the risk of disturbance to others.

HA Acoustics can design for bars, nightclubs and live music venues. We can determine sound insulation measures to minimise music noise break-out and provide advice on the design of sound systems, including the incorporation of electronic noise limiters to ensure that noise criteria set by the Local Authority are not exceeded.

For outdoor events, concerts and festivals we can develop noise control plans, advise on orientation of loudspeaker systems and types of speakers, to minimise music noise impact on nearby residences, liaise with Local Authority Environmental Health Officers and provide physical noise monitoring over the duration of the event.

For more information on our entertainment and licensed premises acoustic surveys , please contact us on 01245 206 250 (Chelmsford) or 0203 371 9801 (London) or 01752 426 118 (Plymouth). Alternatively, email: info@healthyabode.co.uk